Thursday, August 14, 2008

The story

So, this is the story... if you haven't heard.
Rylee was due on August 1, and we thought she might be early, because Braden was early, and after the doctor checkups they said I was ready, 3cm dilated, and she could come any time (all a week early). So, all the waiting was just made worse, by our expectations. After her due date, I had contractios everyday, but nothing to make me hospital bound. Tightening, but nothing really all that painful, or consistant. She was still not here on August 5, and we were at the grocery store and saw a friend, who told us her baby the year before was a week late, and she took castor oil and delivered him that night. So we bought some. I was a little nervous about taking it, didn't sound yummy or very pleasant. So, the next day, I was still trying to talk myself into it, I had Brett pour the amount in a glass of OJ, and it sat in the fridge for a few hours, waiting for me. I called an talked to another friend about taking it, just to get some support, and finally I drank the "cocktail" at 3:00pm. I had some lovely symptoms, but after swimming in the pool with a few (non painful) contractions, and then dinner, everything seemed to have stopped. So, from around 5 until 9 I thought it was another night with no baby. I even had a friend call at 8, just to see what was up, and I was totally convinced nothing was going to happen that night with Rylee. Then at 9 I really started to feel PAINFUL contractions. I was walking all over, then laying down, then up again, telling Brett to get things in the car. My legs were really hurting too. I was feeling impatient, like Brett wasn't getting things ready fast enough, I was ready to go to the hospital. I figured I would be in labor for a few hours at the hospital, but I was still ready to get there. Brett thought we had plenty of time too. So, pain started at 9, we left the house at 9:35, we arrived at the hospital at 9:48, (I looked at the clock just before we got out of the car, I had been trying to time contractions, but really it was just one long contraction to me for the whole car ride), and Rylee's birth time is 10:00pm. We walked into the hospital, I was annoyed at how long it seemed to take to tell them our names, I said "I feel like I have to go to the bathroom", I went in, left the door unlocked, sat and yelled for Brett, then told him I felt like I was pushing the baby out. Two nurses came in, put me in a wheel chair, wheeled me to maternity, I got on the bed and started pushing. The nurse delivered Rylee, and the doctor arrived later to deliver the placenta. Obviously, there wasn't any time to even take some information on me that they usually get before hand, and I didn't get my antibiotics for Strep B, so we had to stay a little longer in the hospital to make sure Rylee didn't get an infection, but she was just fine. I was actually really happy with how quickly everything went after the fact. I was asking for an epidural on my way to delivery (I still didn't know I was so close, or just overwhelmed by the pain). I didn't feel a thing with Braden (really good epidural), so I am happy to know now what its like to have a baby through transition and all. If we had known before that I was so close to delivery we would have been way freaked out, but it was all good.

8 comments:

StevenKatie said...

Awesome...well, except for the really painful part.

Gary said...

Speaking from second hand experience here, we had one with an epidural where Fairlie pushed for 16 hours, and the one with no medication where she pushed twice 20 minutes after arrival at the hospital. As a spectator, I think I would choose the latter.

kelsey said...

wow, way to get that baby out QUICK! :)

Unknown said...

That is an amazing story!!! TWELVE MINUTES?! I'm still in awe! Congrats again!

cropstar said...

Wow!
Congrats guys!! Glad to hear everyone is healthy and happy :)

Anonymous said...

April-you're tough. I was going to have an epidural with #2, however, my blood pressure was too low. He came naturally and besides some intense pain for a while, I would do it again.

Megan said...

I am so glad everything turned out great for you, what a scary or should I say painful experience. I hope I am prepared for that day!! Congrats on the beautiful baby girl! You probably already know but we are having a baby boy!! Dave is soooo excited. Well we both are very excited!! Love you and glad you all are doing great, we missed you at the reunion!!

Alisha said...

Holy cow April! And I thought my delivery was quick! (Ok, it was... I had a C-Section :)) Congrats!